Wednesday, December 11, 2019

World of Lost Souls: Chapter One

The following content is provided for free as a sample of Castles, the fifth book in the Lost Humanity series, by H.S. Kallinger. Please feel free to share this page, but be kind and don't copy and paste the text elsewhere.

This work is available in advance of the finished, published text as a preview.





The world is getting smaller every year. No one is as aware of this as a vampire. The old ones once viewed their countries as the world itself. The young ones watched the world expand as they grew up and then rapidly shrink as technology brought it closer together.

A war hundreds of miles from Zack Henderson may as well be beating down his door. Tensions are rising between humans and vampires in the Americas. The safety of his family can no longer be assured. When one crisis comes to a lull, another rolls into town, bringing everyone in its wake to their knees. Zack finds himself far from home, trying to discover if a villain can also be a hero. If he cannot, is it enough to save the world even if it is too late to save himself?




World of Lost Souls

H.S. Kallinger


Book six of The Lost Humanity series






Chapter One


There has to be something I can do!” I appealed to my husband regarding the chaos in Oakland. It was all my fault, and I was terrified that I was going to get someone I greatly respected and liked killed. She had been seriously injured the night before according to the report I was waving in emphasis.
The only intervention allowed is to call Kim a failure and remove her from her post, humiliating her,” he snapped. “Do you have so little faith in your decision? In her?”
It's not that. But isn't this like them saying they don't trust my judgment? Can't I even go down and support her?”
No. It is them testing her to see if she can hold them. And this is the last time you will bring it up. I am sick of hearing it!” His eyes flashed at me, the blue chased back by his pupils, threatening. “Oakland's internal war has darkened all of April, and I am done listening to you whine about it. It will play itself out. Stand by your decision, or pull her out and place Tyrone Moss in charge.”
Tyrone isn't the right person for the job,” I argued, setting down the tablet with the casualty report. No one had died this week, not permanently, but it had been a near thing last night.
Who is?” Lukas demanded.
Kim,” I answered weakly.
Then shut up and let her do her job,” he said. I opened my mouth, but his eyes narrowed, and I dropped the subject.
I heard that Soto found a place in the Mexican Vampire Army as a lieutenant and already has a platoon assigned to him,” I told him, hoping, again, that I had made the right decision with Kim. If I had made a mistake, she would have to step down... or die.
Yes?” Lukas's expression changed, and he relaxed a bit.
Frank Soto's departure at the beginning of the month for the war in Mexico had been the catalyst for my current angst. When Mexico had initially withdrawn from the Truce in January, Soto had petitioned for leave to fight in the ensuing war between humans and vampires, but Lukas had denied the first request. When things were obviously not improving, he had let our Oakland guard captain go, leaving me in the unhappy position of replacing him. Kim Oswald had been a controversial choice, as there were many higher ranked options, but she was the best.
That is good news. He had hoped to get an officer commission in the infantry. He has the experience.” Lukas's eyes were unfocused, far away. He had been chafing at domesticity lately, and it wasn't hard to guess why. With war so close, the itch to fight and the concern that it would spread here had to be eating at him. After all, if Mexico, which had signed the Truce only five years after the US, could back out over the war brewing to their south, what was to stop us from joining our own southern neighbors?
South America had always been divided on it. Venezuela, Peru and Chile outright refused to adopt it, while Argentina had gone back and forth for 50 years. Brazil had signed it in the early 90s. The west coast of the continent was fighting for control, and it wasn't going well for the humans.
I finished fixing the last details on Bonnie's house,” Sarah announced, turning away from the computer. She let out a loud, relieved sigh. “That's it. No more corrections. You can submit it to the contractors whenever.”
Your last plans were fine, you know,” I said, giving our wife a fond smile. She shrugged.
My best friend deserves better than 'fine,'” Sarah said. “Now it's the best. Or the best I can do anyway.”
The best that you can do is better than most,” Lukas said absently. Sarah shot him a nervous look and swallowed. He gave himself a little shake and turned to smile at her. It didn't make it to his eyes, but he was trying. “Shall we hunt to celebrate?”
Pulse again?” Sarah asked. She stood up at the same time he did.
If you are not tired of it,” he said tonelessly.
Lead the way,” she said, her smile weak. He finally snapped out of it and walked over to kiss her. She took a shaky breath and let it out.
If St. John gets here before you're back, I'm going to go ahead with him,” I informed Lukas. I picked up my laptop, needing to do my homework before it got any later.
Ask Garret to sit in the main house in case the children need anyone.” Lukas was staring intently at Sarah's face as he spoke to me, and I wondered what was going through his head. Was he reminding himself not to neglect her for the sake of their previously damaged relationship? Was he reminding himself why he didn't just pack up and go fight? Both? Neither? More? Ugh. He was frustrating me so much.
I will,” I agreed, though I would have done so anyway. My spouses walked over to kiss me good-bye before they left. I had eaten enough earlier not to need to do so again.
I didn't wait to text Garret and ask him to join me. He was sitting on the couch with me in less than two minutes, curled up with a book. He had moved into the guest house as soon as Ann St. John and her kids moved back home. He kept sending Bonnie rent money since he bailed on their lease, but she didn't seem to mind, especially when Lukas brought up building her a house. He didn't get to finish explaining before she had enthusiastically agreed.
Her dad had reacted as badly as she feared to Garret and had refused to speak to her until he moved out. She hadn't ever brought up that she was bisexual and now planned to keep it to herself for the rest of his life. She had told her mom—who I never got to meet—and she took it well but agreed that she shouldn't tell her dad. He was friendly again since she had assured him that Garret had moved out.
By my birthday earlier this year, Lukas had five new houses planned on our road. We had gotten the malfunctioning security system repaired, and Lukas had the whole house inspected for any sort of tampering. Thankfully, no one took advantage of the lapse in our coverage. Once we were as safe as we ever were once again, we started inviting people to build up our neighborhood. My mom appreciated the offer, but she had several friends on her street and was comfortable there. Vincent had been invited, but he wanted to continue learning autonomy for now. He also liked the real relationship that he and Lukas were developing. Lukas vacillated between enjoying it and being irritated by it.
Filomena teased us about not inviting her to move in, but she loved her privacy too much and was not particularly fond of children. Samiya thanked Lukas for not putting her in the uncomfortable position of declining. She was even more private than Filomena.
Lukas was considering a pet house to keep food nearby, but his annual budget was already in the red. He offered Katelyn her own house as a courtesy, but we all knew she'd decline. She liked being a live-in nanny.
Nate grumbled at me for not inviting him, so I did. I think he just wanted the opportunity to say that he didn't want to be surrounded by vampires. That was why I hadn't invited him in the first place, of course. Julian would have loved having Noah always nearby.
Construction had started in March. St. John's house was the biggest, as Lukas insisted on giving him enough room to grow his family. He had a two story, four bedroom Italian style house in the works. Ann cried when she saw the plans for it. They were living in a two bedroom apartment, and she hadn't ever expected to have a full house to themselves. St. John couldn't protest after seeing her reaction.
After Ann's visit, Lukas had talked to St. John about Sarah's idea to move everyone in closer together. St. John was in favor of it. While he supported the prevention of ghetto formations and easy mass-capture endeavors, he was uneasy living so far out from any other vampires. He also didn't feel Ann was protected enough when he was on patrol, especially since she was pregnant again. She'd found out while he was out of town. Talia was going to be a big sister this June.
Everyone else was getting two bedrooms. Garret and Bonnie were getting two bedrooms each for future pets. The fifth house had a yard situated 50' away from the rest of us and was for Adam and Polly. They were moving out here to help with Julian and be close to Garret. Adam didn't mind where he was as long as he had the buffer of space from other people's heads, and Polly missed Garret too much to turn down the offer.
They were both coming over illegally, but with their gifts and Lukas's money, immigration wouldn't be a problem. Ten minutes looking at US immigration stuff gave me enough of a headache to never want to deal with it. I assumed they felt the same way. I had no clue there were so many applicants. Garret had at least a twenty year wait before he could legally become a citizen if he was doing it by the book.
Nicky and Crystal wanted a small Spanish Eclectic style house. Bonnie's second bedroom would also allow for her family to visit occasionally. She told Sarah to go wild designing something contemporary and artsy. Garret wanted a cottage style with a tower on the side like on the castles back home. Both he and Bonnie wanted balconies with entrances to the house and master bedrooms on the top floor.
Sarah based her plans for Bonnie's house on the three others. She gave it a covered porch located under the main house. The master bedroom could only be accessed from the outside balcony, which she set up higher than most vampires could jump and covered with a downward swoop of curved roof so one couldn't just jump down to it. You had to be able to fly to get into it. You couldn't tell it wasn't a window from the ground, which made the balcony look decorative. She could use the second bedroom for booty calls or if she was too damaged to fly.
I had to admit that I was excited and happy to watch the houses go up. The idea of having our flock close together appealed to me more than I'd realized it would. I squeezed Garret's leg affectionately, and he patted my hand. If I didn't need to get this damn homework done tonight, I probably would have dragged him off to the bedroom by now. Not that I minded just cuddling while we did our own things, but all this flock togetherness had me running on a high. Until the Kim situation, no one had been able to bring me down, not even Mr. Battle Itch.
You done wi' that yet?” Garret asked.
Almost. I was just thinking that it was too bad we don't have time to disappear for a bit,” I told him.
To bed or out of town?” he asked, closing his book on the scrap of green ribbon he was using for a bookmark.
Bed,” I answered as I saved my work.
We could be late gannin over to the house,” he said, shooting me a sly smile.
No, no. I want to do some physical work to get my mind out of Oakland,” I said, shaking my head. He sighed.
Not Oakland again,” he muttered.
I have guilt!” I protested. He shook his head and rolled his eyes.
Aye, aye,” he said, patting my hand again. “I've the kids tonight?”
Yeah. I got on Mia about her grades earlier, so watch out for attitude,” I warned him.
Is Eva still sulkin' like?” He glanced at the hallway to the rest of the house. The kids had already finished their homework and could be heard playing. Eva's school performance had shot up after her bully was gone. Her therapist had let us know that she had finally unloaded everything that she was keeping to herself. She spent the next couple months with double her usual therapy and got an award at the end of the semester for being the top in her class.
At Mia's parent-teacher conference, they told us that she wasn't thriving in her environment. They already taught to the student's ability, not age, but they had wanted to move her up a grade. She wasn't doing anything at a kindergarten level—including socializing. Her comments to the CPS caseworker turned out to be understatements.
I hadn't realized that none of the kids at her party were from her class at school. She didn't have a single friend in her homeroom class. She had a few in her upper level classes, though. They were the kids at her party, along with those she had been friends with for years.
We thought it sounded fine, but Mia freaked out. She cried that she was already weird and that skipping grades would just make her stand out more. It took a week, but Jamie convinced her to at least try it for a month. It wasn't an instant success. For the first time since she started school, she had come home crying that she didn't want to go back.
Sarah was upset enough by the situation to suggest homeschooling her, but Jamie and I both pointed out that she wasn't being picked on. She just didn't have very good social skills, and pulling her out of school wasn't going to help with that. She was too used to Eva helping her make friends. Now she had to do it on her own. The fact that she already had a few proved she was capable.
It was still hard watching her struggle. Thankfully, it didn't take the whole month before she adapted and was excited for school again. The teacher had us in for a conference at the end of the trial period to report on her progress. Part of skipping involved an IQ test to be certain she was within their guideline threshold for doing so, so we were given that information as well.
The principal told us that she would definitely qualify for the Gifted and Talented Education program at our public school, but since that school stopped at 6th grade, she would be in an educational gap if she continued on her current curve. Her school went to 8th grade, and then parents decided to either continue on to the connected high school or transfer to public school. The high school only had night hours, so it was our first choice, but it wasn't necessarily best for the daytime students. We didn't need anything else to confirm that she was in the right school.
After that, Eva needed repeated reassurance that she wasn't either dumb or a disappointment just because she wasn't skipping grades like her sister. We reminded her that she was in several classes past her grade, too. Having Mia in her reading class was bothering her now, though. That distressed Mia, and her grade started slipping. We knew it would just take time for the adjustment and were doing our best to be patient.
Not really,” I answered. “Eva hasn't brought it up in days. I think she's almost over it, but Mia hasn't regained her confidence yet.”
Bloody ridiculous,” Garret muttered. “It's a small school. It's naught against her that they have to share classes. Mia's all about books. Makes sense she's readin' so far ahead of her age.”
I think Eva's finally figured that out,” I said, flicking his arm. “Remember that Eva fell behind because she was being bullied. It's not like she can just magically make up for the time lost. As hard as she's trying, she's still got to get there the hard way while recovering from all that.”
And Mia earned her place in that class fair and square and shouldn't be sufferin' from her sister bein' jealous like,” Garret said, poking me.
I can be sympathetic to both my daughters at the same time, you know,” I pointed out. Garret shrugged and nodded.
I guess I'm still narked Eva never told none of us what was happenin',” he admitted. “And don't think I didn't notice when I sudden wasn't bein' asked to watch the kids no more. You thought it coulda been me.”
Not really,” I muttered, suddenly tense. I remembered Lukas's comment that Garret would disappear for weeks if he knew that we had suspected him in the least. He sighed.
I wouldn't hurt one of those bairns to save my own life,” he said softly, and touched my face. I relaxed.
I know,” I answered, covering his hand with my own.
I hope you do.” He kissed me. Then he rested his chin on my shoulder. “I've still got that bastard's fangs.”
I sat back and stared at him in shock. I hadn't pursued information on who'd torn apart Jerrod Miller, the father of the boy who'd hurt Eva. The son of a bitch had been biting his own son. I knew Lukas hadn't done anything, but it hadn't occurred to me that Garret might. He raised an eyebrow. A harsh breath of laughter escaped me, and he smiled darkly. It made me think of the slow, vicious smile St. John had given me when I mentioned that Diarmad was plotting revenge against New York. It reminded me of how glad I was that he was on our side. Apparently, the same could be said of Garret.
All St. John had told me about New York was that Robyn was as twisted as Nicky had said, and he was never going near the upper east coast again. He had returned no worse for wear but refused to even look at Filomena for a while. He had brought back something very interesting: a new therapist for me and Jamie. Specifically, he had used his temporary connections to find a psychologist that worked off the record with vampire criminals.
After a very thorough check by Lukas, I suddenly had someone I could talk to about everything I had done. He did a lot of the same stuff Jamie had, but I still felt better afterward. I wasn't about to leave my first counselor, though. He had been with me through too much, and I preferred him for my trauma issues and depression.
I was able to finally speak to St. John about that, since it hadn't been an option at the prison. I originally tracked him down to thank him for the referral, but we ended up going on patrol together and chatting quite a bit. Ann's visit had been peaceful. Julian was on his best behavior for two whole weeks in deference to Talia. He chewed out his sisters whenever he was worried that they were being too rough around her, brought out all of his toddler-safe toys for her to play with and didn't try to escape once. Ann had told her husband that she missed us as much as Julian missed them.
A knock came at the door, and I kissed Garret one last time before trotting over to answer it.
Lukas is out eating,” I told St. John as I stepped outside. He nodded, and we walked together to the lot where his house was being constructed.
Can I ask you something?”
Oswald will be fine. You made the right choice,” St. John answered, making me laugh.
No, I was wondering how likely you thought it would be that we end up involved in the war,” I said. “I can't ask Lukas. I think he wants to run off and fight in it.”
Ah. Hmm,” St. John stopped and looked at the framework for his future house. “I fear it is likely. I hope it is not. The last war that found me with a family stole them from me.”
I think we're why Lukas is so moody,” I commented.
He is worried for his family,” St. John mused. He nodded. “That explains much.”
Right?” I said and blew out a frustrated breath. We continued to the house-to-be and set to work being useful. I was sure the energy Lukas was expending in personally working on building the houses was the only thing keeping him as level headed as he still was. I couldn't imagine how insufferable he would have been if we didn't have this project. So I was happy when he caught up with us and we were all working together at building our neighborhood.
For all his faults, I still loved him as intensely as ever. It was why I'd asked him to become my husband legally... and made the mistake of telling my mom about it. When she demanded a wedding and I explained that we weren't planning one, she yelled at me for half an hour about how selfish eloping was. Now that she didn't hate Lukas anymore, she was in a place to enjoy our wedding, and she'd be damned if we took that away from her.
I whined about not wanting another anniversary to remember or to have to wait until July—our anniversary was July 21st—and she pointed out that the anniversary would be there whether we had a ceremony or not.
Unable to argue with her, we planned another small ceremony at the beginning of December. 'Planned' was the operative word, because I made another mistake in bitching at Steve and Nate about my mom demanding it, and they bitched at me for trying to exclude them. Nate surprised me with that, but he just shrugged and said friends went to each other's weddings and got free booze.
Still, it had been nice, and Lukas did seem to enjoy any excuse for a celebration, and celebrate we did. He didn't even wait for all the guests to leave before dragging me off to bed.
Lukas caught me staring at him and returned it, again leaving me wondering what was going through his head. Neither of us asked the other why we were spacing off before we broke eye contact and went back to work. At least our goals were aligned.
When the work crew called it quits for the night, we headed home. St. John invited me to go hunting, but I still wasn't hungry, so I was able to turn him down in favor of returning to Garret. It was Monday, so I would barely have time with him for the next several nights between his job as a courier and my nursing school.
Vincent was waiting for Lukas when we got back, sitting as far away from Garret on the couch as he could get. Garret was ignoring him for his book, and Vincent was sketching something in a large pad of paper. They both stopped and turned to smile brightly at us. I looked around for Sarah.
Where's—” I started, but a sudden, loud thud and explosive swearing drifted out from the direction of her art studio, answering my question. “Ah.”
I do wish she would not throw solid marble at the wall,” Lukas muttered. “I may have reinforced the walls for vampires, but the light paneling can still be damaged.”
She gets super pissed when she does that,” I agreed. “I'm not saying anything to her about it, though.”
I am not that stupid, either,” Lukas said with a snort.
I wish she'd go back to painting. This sculpting phase hurts my ears,” I added.
When you have something in your mind, you have to get it out,” Vincent said.
Garret!” Sarah yelled from her studio. He snickered and stopped sitting twisted around on the couch. “That isn't funny!”
What did you do?” I asked.
Can't prove I did aught,” he said, his shoulders still shaking with amusement. He was not above using his telekinesis for pranks. Often childish ones, too. The studio was pushing his range, but only just. “You both home for the night?”
What's left of it,” Vincent said. Lukas raised an eyebrow and made his way over to his lover.
Are you feeling neglected?” he teased. A tiny bit of pink colored Vincent's face as he smiled sheepishly. Lukas crawled onto him, and Garret turned to me expectantly. “Let me remedy that.”
I stalked off toward the bedroom when Lukas and Vincent started being annoyingly lovey dovey, knowing Garret would follow. Sarah was busy, after all. Near Christmas, Lukas had asked me and Sarah to sleep with Jamie so he could have Vincent stay the day. Since then, Vincent had stayed over several times, but we only got kicked out the one day. Lukas also no longer stopped himself from telling Vincent that he loved him, and sometimes they annoyed me.
I began taking the ensuing aggression out on Sarah... in bed. She liked that quite a bit. Lukas had finally regained his confidence and started playing with her again, too. The counselor definitely helped. Since Sarah's threshold was so high, she had told him that it was the connection with behavior manipulation that he needed to watch. He didn't appreciate my snarky 'duh.' They were happy again, and that was what mattered most. So, her relationships were back on track again, and she and I had done some important talking, leading to an increase in time together that we both needed. But when she was in her studio, Garret would certainly do.
He seemed to like my aggression just as much.






Liked this sample? You can read more by purchasing this book on Barnes and NobleAmazonKobo, Lulu Book 1 Book 2, or Smashwords! Keep updated via my website or via Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment